Girona, Temps de Flors is a flower exhibition held in the city of Girona since 1954. Since 1956, every May, is celebrated for a week this spring festival which attracts people from all over the world.
During the Girona, Temps de Flors festival floral projects fill the city’s main monuments with colour and creativity. Below you will find our selection of the 10 unmissable spaces in this exhibition:
1. Sant Nicolau. Funeral chapel that is nowadays used as an exhibition gallery.
2. La Catedral. The Cathedral is an architectural emblem of the city. Built between the 11th and 17th centuries, it is knows for its 23-metre gothic nave, which is the wiedest of its kind in the world.
3. Sarraïnes. Emblematic two-storey building located between the Arab Baths and the start of the Archaeological Walk.
4. Plaça dels Jurats. A square located at the heart of the city’s Historic Quarter where each year some outstanding floral and decorative arrangements are displayed.
5. Sant Lluc. Church built in 1724 at the start of the Archaeological Walk, which is currently home to the castrum of the Manaies de Girona historical group.
6. Casa Lleó Avinay. A private house with a courtyard filled with symbolism (the design follows the structure of the tree of life from the Kabbalah), wich was owned by one of the city’s wealthiest Jewish men in 1492.
7. Banys Àrabs. A unique Romanesque construction dating back to the 12th. Of particular note is the dome covering the central pool which is supported by slender columns topped by beautifully ornamented capitals.
8. Torre Gironella Jardins dels Alemanys. Church built in 1724 at the start of the Archaeological Walk, which is currently home to the castrum of the Manaies de Girona historical group.
9. Sant Martí. Church dedicated to Saint Martin which belonged to the former Jesuit convent and college. It was constructed outside the city walls at the end of the 16th century.
10. Sant Feliu. Basilica with a castle-like appearance which was Girona’s first and only cathedral until the 10th century. It is one of Girona’s most important Gothic buildings and has a slender bell tower.
This year 2016 is from 9th to 17th May.